ASY are Small Business Accountants that treat me like family.

Bookkeeping • Payroll • Tax Preparation • Government Correspondence

From small business to non-profit (501(c)(3))… from new business to established… we handle the numbers so you can concentrate on the business!

AS of York caters to small business owners. Because you’re in business, you need the peace of mind that working with a trusted accounting firm like ASY can provide. At ASY, our goal is to help you thrive by providing the responsive, intelligent service you need. For over 30 years we have been contributing to the success of companies just like yours through our integrity, expertise, and client focus. Let us help you succeed by delegating your accounting and tax functions to us so you can focus on what you do best.

Experience the peace of mind that comes with working with ASY… contact us today.
(717) 757-5482

We offer year round Tax Service and electronic filing for both personal, corporate, and non-profit tax returns. Setting up a new business? Have questions? We can help. We offer a no charge consultation. Are you processing your own payroll? Are you being overcharged by a big National Payroll Company? We can help! We have been processing payroll for many local and National companies for over 30 years and we’ll take care of the headache of payroll taxes for you. Contact us for a quote on our payroll service today.

We’ll count the beans… you enjoy the coffee!

Whether you’re a new client or a familiar face, feel free to use our handy Tax Organizer to get you ready for the season.  PDF format.

NEW Now you can Schedule your tax appointment online

Click the links below to get the status of your refund

Federal — Where is My Federal RefundWhere’s My Federal Amended Return Pay Your Bill Online
Pennsylvania — Where’s My PA RefundWhere is my Pa Property Tax Rebate

Announcement: Office Space Available

ASY has one office space available for lease at our office.  It is approximately 150 sqft.  This includes all utilities and Internet service. You would also have access to our spacious conference room for meetings. Contact David for more information.



New payment option available to taxpayers in private debt collection program

WASHINGTON — Internal Revenue Service officials today announced that a new payment option has been added to the private debt collection program to make it easier for those who owe to pay their tax debts.

Taxpayers now can choose the convenient option of a preauthorized direct debit to make one payment or a series of payments toward their federal tax debt. With direct debit, the taxpayer will give their written permission to the private collection agency (PCA) to authorize a payment on the taxpayer’s behalf to the U.S. Department of the Treasury. This enables the taxpayer to conveniently and securely schedule multiple payments with the ease of a single phone call with their assigned PCA.

When taxpayers choose the preauthorized direct debit option, they’ll complete and sign a written authorization which can be submitted to the PCA by mail or fax. The authorization contains the payment schedule and bank account information.

Once the PCA receives the taxpayer’s signed authorization, it will send a confirmation letter containing the details of the preauthorized direct debit. The PCA will create a check according to the payment schedule made out to the U.S. Department of the Treasury. The check is securely mailed to the IRS within 24 hours.

The new direct debit supplements existing IRS-sponsored payment options and can be changed or canceled up to one business day prior to the scheduled payment. Taxpayers can still opt to use the electronic payment options available on Your Taxes. Payments by check should be payable to the U.S. Treasury and sent directly to the IRS, not the PCA.

The private debt collection program, enacted by Congress, requires the IRS to contract PCAs to collect certain outstanding tax debts. In June, the IRS began assigning a small number of business accounts to PCAs.These cases meet the requirements under federal law for inclusion in the private debt collection program.

From the start of the program in April 2017 through June 13, 2019, the IRS has given four PCAs more than 1.9 million total cases that represent more than $16.2 billion of the IRS’s balance-due inventory. To date, the PCAs have assisted more than 163,000 taxpayers who either paid their balances in full or set up a payment arrangement.

Be aware of scammers

Taxpayers should be on alert for scammers and identity thieves pretending to be from a PCA.

When representatives from one of the four PCAs contacts a taxpayer, they will state that they are from one of these collection agencies: CBE, Performant, Pioneer or ConServe. These agencies will respect the Taxpayer Bill of Rights and abide by the consumer protection provisions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Whether a taxpayer selects the preauthorized direct payment option or mails a check, the IRS reminds taxpayers to be on the lookout for scam telephone calls from anyone claiming to be collecting on behalf of the IRS.

Even with private debt collection, taxpayers will not get unexpected phone calls demanding payment. Before a taxpayer is contacted, the taxpayer will receive two letters; one from the IRS and one from the PCA. Both letters will include a Taxpayer Authentication Number (TAN). The TAN will be used to authenticate the PCA and to verify the identity of the taxpayer, instead of using their social security number. Taxpayers are advised to safeguard their TAN as they would a social security number. Taxpayers can report a suspected phone scam or inappropriate behavior to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration on their website at, or by calling 800-366-4484.

Taxpayers who donate to charity should check out these resources

Taxpayers who donate to a charity may be able to claim a deduction on their tax return. These deductions basically reduce the amount of their taxable income. Taxpayers can only deduct charitable contributions if they itemize deductions.

Here are some resources for people making donations:

Tax Exempt Organization Search
Taxpayers must give to qualified organizations to deduct their donations on their tax return. They can use this tool to find out if a specific charity qualifies as a charitable organization for income tax purposes.

Publication 526, Charitable Contributions
This pub explains how taxpayers claim a deduction for charitable contributions. It goes over:

  • How much taxpayers can deduct.
  • What records they must keep.
  • How to report contributions.

Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property
Taxpayers generally can deduct the fair market value of property they donate. This publication helps determine the value of donated property.

Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions
Taxpayers must file form 8283 to report noncash charitable contributions if the amount of this deduction is more than $500. The instructions for this form walk taxpayers through how to complete it.

Schedule A, Itemized Dedications
Taxpayers deducting donations do so on Schedule A. The instructions for this form include line-by-line directions for completing it.

Frequently asked questions: Qualified charitable distributions
Taxpayers age 70 ½ or older can make a qualified charitable distribution from their IRA – up to $100,000 – directly to an eligible charity. It’s generally a nontaxable distribution made by the IRA trustee to a charitable organization. A QCD counts toward their minimum distribution requirement for the year.

More information:
Tax Topic 506 – Charitable Contributions
Deducting Charitable Contribution at a Glance

Share this tip on social media

2 million ITINs set to expire in 2019; to avoid refund delays apply soon

IRS YouTube Videos:
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)English | Spanish

WASHINGTON —Taxpayers with expiring Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) can get their ITINs renewed more quickly and avoid refund delays next year by submitting their renewal    application soon, the Internal Revenue Service said today.

An ITIN is a tax ID number used by taxpayers who don’t qualify to get a Social Security number. Any ITIN with middle digits 83, 84, 85, 86 or 87 will expire at the end of this year. In addition, any ITIN not used on a tax return in the past three years will expire. As a reminder, ITINs with middle digits 70 through 82 that expired in 2016, 2017 or 2018 can also be renewed.

The IRS urges anyone affected to file a complete renewal application, Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, as soon as possible. Be sure to include all required ID and residency documents. Failure to do so will delay processing until the IRS receives these documents. With nearly 2 million taxpayer households impacted, applying now will help avoid the rush as well as refund and processing delays in 2020.

Avoid common errors now and prevent delays next year
Many common errors can delay an ITIN renewal application. These mistakes generally center on missing information or insufficient supporting documentation. Common mistakes to avoid include:

  • Missing W-7 Applications. Taxpayers renewing their ITINs must submit to IRS a completed new W-7 application along with either original documents or copies of documents certified by the issuing agency.
  • Did not indicate reason for applying. A reason for needing the ITIN must be selected on the Form W-7.
  • Missing a complete foreign address. When renewing an ITIN, if Reason B (non-resident alien) is marked, the taxpayer must include a complete foreign address on their Form W-7.
  • Mailing incorrect identification documents. Taxpayers mailing their ITIN renewal applications must include original identification documents or copies certified by the issuing agency and any other required attachments. They must also include the ITIN assigned to them and the name under which it was issued on line 6e-f.
  • Insufficient supporting documentation, such as U.S. residency documentation or official documentation to support name changes. Dependents are required to supply residency documentation in most cases.
  • Did not include a tax return to validate a tax benefit. Spouses and dependents residing outside the U.S. who would’ve been claimed for a personal exemption should not renew their ITINs this year, unless they are filing their own tax return, or they qualify for an allowable tax benefit. For example: a dependent parent who qualifies the primary taxpayer to claim Head of Household filing status, American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), or Premium Tax Credit. In these cases, the individual must be listed on an attached U.S. federal tax return with the appropriate schedule or form that qualifies for the allowable tax benefit and the federal tax return must be attached to the renewing Form W-7 application.

The IRS urges applicants to check over their forms carefully before sending them to the IRS. For more information, visit the ITIN information page on

Tax reform publication translated into different languages

Taxpayers who filed an extension can find resources on that can help them file their tax return. One of these resources is Publication 5307, Tax Reform Basics for Individuals and Families. This publication is now available in several different languages.

This publication has info to help individual taxpayers understand the tax reform law. It gives tips about actions they may need to take to comply with federal tax return filing requirements.

The pub can be especially helpful for extension filers who haven’t filed their tax returns and those who were otherwise unable to file their return by the deadline. Taxpayers who haven’t filed over the summer can file their tax returns whenever they are ready. They do not need to wait until the October 15 extension deadline to file.

This online publication is available on in these languages.

Here are some of the key changes affecting tax returns covered in all versions of the publication:

  • New tax rates. There are now seven income tax brackets, ranging from 10% to 37%.
  • The standard deduction nearly doubled. The basic standard deduction is now:
    • $12,000 for singles and married people filing separate returns.
    • $18,000 for heads of household.
    • $24,000 for married couples filing a joint tax return.
  • Some deductions are limited or discontinued.  Here are a couple examples:
    • The state and local tax deduction is limited to $10,000, or $5,000 if married and filing a separate return.
    • New limits apply to mortgage interest.
    • The miscellaneous itemized deduction for job-related costs and certain other expenses is no longer available.
  • Changes to the child tax credit. This credit increased, so more people now qualify. The maximum credit is now $2,000 for each qualifying child under age 17. In addition, the income limit for getting the full credit is $400,000 for joint filers and $200,000 for other taxpayers.
  • New credit for other dependents. A $500 credit is available for each dependent who does not qualify for the child tax credit. This includes older children and qualifying relatives, such as a parent.
  • Personal and dependency exemptions suspended. This means that an exemption can no longer be claimed for a tax filer, spouse and dependents

The publication gives taxpayers detailed information about performing a Paycheck Checkup using the Tax Withholding Estimator. The pub also tells people how to update Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, with their employer after doing a Paycheck Checkup.

Share this tip on social media

Smart Vault

Please specify the group
Best of York 2017
Need FAQ, Info or Help? Ask us about...

The Affordable Health Care here.

Local IRS Offices

2670 Industrial Hwy, York, PA 17402
Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
(Closed for lunch 12:30pm - 1:30pm)
(717) 757-4977

228 Walnut St, Harrisburg, PA 17101
Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
(Closed for lunch 12:30pm - 1:00pm) (717) 777-9650

1720 Hempstead Rd, Lancaster, PA 17601
Monday-Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
(Closed for lunch 12:30pm - 1:00pm)
(717) 291-1994


National Association of Tax Professionals